Most Google Nexus 4 owners come up with hurdles when they want to root their device after updating it to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. It is essential to install either a TWRP Recovery image or a ClockworkMod Recovery image for this purpose. You can flash fresh customized recoveries for Google Nexus once you have installed a great app like N-Cry Toolkit.
Before you install the app and go ahead with the flash, make sure that the device is on unlocked bootloader. Otherwise, you are taking the risk of loosing all the data on it. If the bootloader is not unlocked, make sure that all the data has been backed up.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to flash TWRP Recovery for your non-rooted Google Nexus 4. Make sure that your PC already has fastboot and the adb. An Android SDK download will enable this installation. Then, follow the steps mentioned here.
1. The first step is to download TWRP Recover image and store it where the adb and fastboot files are stored. Next, switch off the smartphone.
2. Then, boot the phone into Bootloader or Fastboot mode. If you don’t know how to do this, press the power, volume up and volume down buttons together. Once you notice that the screen comes to power and you see the bootloader menu, release all the buttons.
3. Next, connect the Nexus 4 with your computer. When you do this, the phone’s screen will display Fastboot USB mode.
4. Then, open the command window and reach the folder where the TWRP Recovery file is stored. Then, you will have to feed in a command line. You will have to type “fastboot flash recovery recovery openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-make.img”
5. Once this is done, the installation will start and complete in some time. This will flash TWRP Recovery for your Nexus 4.
Keep in mind that TWRP Recovery is a more convenient and effective method for device, but you can also flash ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery. The following steps will guide you through this flash recovery for your rooted device with ROM Manager app. The ClockworkMod Recovery can prove to be helpful in the future.
The first step is to visit the Google Play Store and download ROM Manager onto your device. Once the app is launched, click on the button that says “Recovery Setup.”
You will see a section titled, “Install or Update Recovery.” There is a button, “ClockworkMod Recovery” under this section. You will have to click on it.
You will be asked for the device model confirmation. Then, select from the option to flash the Classic or Touch CWM Recovery image and confirm. This will complete the installation process.
You can use any of the above mentioned two methods to flash customized Recovery image for your smartphone. There is no complication involved if you use all these steps carefully. Make sure to create a backup of all the data even if the phone is on unlocked bootloader. It will provide an additional layer of safety for your valuable data, preventing any headaches.
Guest post By Umair Masood from TodayonTech.com